Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Is it possible to give my cat levetiracetam only once a day?

Customer Question

Is it possible to give my cat levetiracetam only once a day? Its a struggle to give him the oral tuna flavor. He has mild twitching seizures. Once a day would be less stressful then 3times a day for him.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to help you today.

Unfortunately, in this case, this is a drug that is rapidly absorbed and therefore only has a 3 hour half life in cats. This means it needs to be redosed 3 times daily to keep the drug level stable and prevent seizures. This means that if you were to give this once daily, it would not likely be enough to keep him stable. Therefore, if you are struggling, you may want to speak to your vet about having this compounded into a flavor he likes better or an easier to dose oral preparation. Otherwise, we'd need to think about alternative medications (ie Phenobarbital, Pregabalin - though this s still in the experimental phase of use with cats, though promising) that last longer and will allow you to at least reduce dosing til every 12 hours (potentially every 24 hours, if he responds well).

Please take care,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Understanding that it dissipates within 3hrs, it does help him by lessening his seizures, is it harmful to him by only giving him one dose per day?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

It would not be harmful to do so, but we could see recurrence of his signs. Therefore, you could try it and see if it were enough to keep him from showing signs when dosed once daily. Though in that case, we'd want to treat at the time before he tends to have seizures and it'd be best to wean him down to twice and then once if you did choose to do so.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

I am not able to offer a phone service at this time, but will repost what I have just said in case you are struggling to see it:

All the best,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.