Ola Barrett
Ola Barrett,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Lake Chatuge Animal Hospital
77721119

We have cat who is about 1 1/2 years old. He was our

Customer Question

We have cat who is about 1 1/2 years old. He was our daughters. She moved to California. She gave him to us. 9 months later she is back and living in the same home with us. Since she has returned, the cat has stopped eating. He is still drinking and using the litter box. He doesn't seem to be in pain. We have checked for injuries and find no evidence of any. He is not running, jumping on furniture, playing as normal. He has even started sleeping in a new area. I have looked at his mouth and it looks fine. Also no pain when I check his mouth. We have other pets in the home. What could be going on? Could it be psychological? Or could there be a physical problem although he is not obviously in pain?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Ola Barrett replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am Dr RB and I am a small animal veterinarian. Yes, cats are very sensitive to changes in routine and comings and goings of people that are different. However, any time that cats are not eating for more than 24 hours, you should seek veterinary care to determine an underlying cause and provide much needed nutrition. Cats do not always show us what is bothering them; but avoiding you and sleeping in a different spot is worrisome. Even if there is no obvious external cause, the medical cause could be internal (e.g. infection, organ dysfunction, endocrine disease).

I believe Archie needs to see your regular DVM for a physical exam and blood testing (e.g complete blood count and blood chemistry) just to be safe. If all medical reasons are ruled out, at least you could have peace of mind that this was behaviorally/psychological issue and your DVM could help you resolve this as well.

Let me know if this helps you or if your have other questions?

Hi Cathy,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Ola Barrett

Hello again, I hope Archie is feeling better..If my advice helped, it would be greatly appreciated if you could take the time to give my response a positive rating? This would allow me to receive compensation for my expertise and time assisting you and your pet.. Much thanks