Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

Our cat has a watery bloody discharge and is listless and

Customer Question

our cat has a watery bloody discharge and is listless and has stopped eating .....she
seems to have trouble with urination and/or with bowel movements.....what do you think?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with cats and dogs. I'm sorry that Kitty isn't feeling well - I'm here to help. When you say she has a watery discharge - where is this discharge coming from?

I'll await your reply

~Dr. Sara

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure.....but I think it is coming from her urinary tract
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

OK - do you think it's possible that Kitty might actually be a male cat?

While it's unusual for female cats to have urinary issues, it is possible. With female cats we worry mostly about urinary tract infections or stones. A stone would be really unlikely in a cat as young as you've described, but she could certainly have a bladder infection that could cause bloody urine and straining.

The reason I ask about whether she could actually be a male is that urinary obstructions and urinary tract inflammation are a very well recognized cause of emergency visits in male cats. The tip of the penis is quite narrow, and as such, when they have inflammation, mucus, or inflammatory debris in their bladder, male cats can easily become obstructed. If you're seeing a lot of straining and Kitty isn't producing much urine, I would consider this an emergency worth calling the vet over, or potentially going to the ER to have examined. A urinary tract obstruction is life threatening and needs treatment immediately. Trouble urinating, bloody urine, lethargy and lack of appetite all worry me enough to have you call the vet ASAP.

Please let me know what questions I can answer for you.

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)