Ola Barrett
Ola Barrett,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Lake Chatuge Animal Hospital
77721119

I have outdoor cats and today one of them came up to me

Customer Question

I have outdoor cats and today one of them came up to me limping. In his back leg, in the inside, it was really swollen and had a small prominent hole in the middle. Looked really infected..I have a picture..in really worried. What do you think it could be
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Ola Barrett replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am Dr RB and I am a small animal veterinarian. Most likely, it is either a bite wound from a cat fight that has formed an abscess or, if you live in a humid environment, a small bot larvae in the wound that has created any abscess. The very thing to do is to take Evlynn to your regular DVM tomorrow so they can sedate her, flush and clean the wound and give her antibiotics for the infection and pain medications for the swelling. Until that time, I would keep her inside your house or garage so the contamination from the environment doesn't make the wound worse; cat wounds are very susceptible for fly larvae (e.g. maggots) which can cause really severe tissue damage so I would have your DVM look at her right away;)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is what his leg looks like..still have the same thoughts about what it is? ):

Yes, it looks like a bite wound and will definitely require veterinary care as soon as possible. Depending on how deep the pocket is and how the underlying tissue looks when it is flushed out, it may require surgical debridement involving trimming of the infected areas of tissue.. I would keep her in crate or enclosed area tonight and take her in to your regular DVM in the morning. It is likely they will keep her for several hours so you could drop her off in the morning if you have places to be:)

Hello again, I hope Evlynn feels much better once that wound is taken care of ..If my advice helped, it would be greatly appreciated if you could take the time to give my response a positive rating? This would allow me to receive compensation for my expertise and time assisting you and your pet.. Much thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for not replying but thank you so much for your advice!!

You are very welcome! Let me know if you have other questions.. When you have a chance, please remember to rate my response?