Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My kitty is kind of dry heaving. Just started this am. She

Customer Question

Hi Dr Bruce,
My kitty is kind of dry heaving. Just started this am. She acts like there is something stuck and just can't get it up. Generally acting a bit lithargic. She has eaten dry food too fast before but seems to get it out and move on, just not this time. Any suggestions
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hi Sue. Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. Sorry for my delay in getting to your question. Since Girl has started doing this dry heaving, has she ate or drank? Does she bring up anything when she's doing the "dry heaving"?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still drinking and eating a bit but not her norm. Dry heaving a little sputum, once, white bubbly tried to get it but she jerked away and swallowed. She is not eating her wet food good the last couple of days. Wondered if I might have gotten a bad can of that. Only eating the dry food. Bathroom detail normal I checked it this morning. Water intake seems to be normal. We just had a temp drop for Arizona. Maybe a cold?
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for all that good information Sue. In a situation like this, sometimes it can be a challenge to know if a cat is dry heaving or coughing. If material is being brought up, then most likely it is a gastrointestinal issue going on. Some can have similar looking respiratory issues and they can be due to allergies, inhaled irritants, or heart issues. With what you're describing, it seems more intestinal / stomach related. I wouldn't think the weather change would set this off. Could it be food related? Honestly with some cats, infrequent vomiting can be due to eating something that just doesn't agree with them. If a new food was fed or a new treat or a plant being chewed on - then the consideration would be there for that being the cause. As far as what an owner can do at home for an acute episode of vomiting, pulling food and water for 12 hours to let the stomach rest is as good as they can do there. If the "dry heaving" continues despite this, could there be some issue with the pancreas? Some primary issue with the intestinal tract and material being there that isn't passing? I would recommend videoing an "event" that you're seeing if possible so your vet can view it if they need to evaluate her if these continue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, I'll just give it a day or so and see if she continues this. Maybe it will clear if not I'll take her in and get a work up. I think she is kind of self regulating on the not eating, usually every time I head for the kitchen she is in there, today she's just sleeping.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

As long as she's seeming comfortable and not being stressed, it would seem an ok plan to give her a day or so to see if this continues. Some do very well on their own at regulating the not eating / drinking for that time frame. I'm hoping for the best for Girl!

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?