Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My cat is 19 years old. The last 5 years she has struggled

Customer Question

My cat is 19 years old. The last 5 years she has struggled with constipation. 2 times in the last 5 years I had to take her in to get clean out because she had so much pain.
I have been giving her 2ml milk of magnesium 2 times every day for a couple years and I have upped the dose (3-4times daily ) because it appears she has built up a tolerance to it.
She has not pooped in 2 days and she is struggling (not at the pain stage yet but she has vomitted white foam).
Do you have a remedy to help her poop now and different remedy I can use moving forward?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. I'm sorry to hear about Spokes situation. How long ago did she vomit? Is she looking depressed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yesterday late around 10pm cst and today she ate a little this morning and is not being social like she normally is. Since I have seen this before, we are about a day away before she will start vomitting more and then the pain will kick in.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for that information. Constipation can be a persistent issue with some cats due to underlying metabolic issues that dehydrate them or due to motility issues with the colon. Really severe cars are called megacolons and they definitely need a balanced approach to manage them through diet and medications. With your little one, could there be enough stools to need an enema? That is the unknown. I don't recommend an owner trying them at home as they are uncomfortable and messy. An enema should be done by a vet to have it done safely and effectively. As far as managing them with oral medications, I like Miralax as it can be mixed in soft food and taken pretty easily. Lactulose is another very good one. Could she have underlying renal issues that are making this happen easier? That is a consideration. Given her age, it would be best to have your vet assess her. When I use Miralax, I will use 1/4 teaspoon once to twice a day and then adjust as I see what the stools are doing. Here is a great link for you on all this.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Helps if I attach it. Sorry about that.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=634

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?