Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

My kitten is 5 weeks old and am having no success in getting

Customer Question

my kitten is 5 weeks old and am having no success in getting him to take any food in a dish.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that Rackit is having difficulty eating.

First- what type dishes are you using? Kittens are very sensitive about their whiskers and they often do not like the feel of bowls touching their faces while they eat. I like to start kittens on very flat plates or even tuperware lids until they get the hang of eating.

Second- what kind of food are you offering? 5 weeks old is a very borderline age for kittens to be eating solid food and some are not ready for it yet. I would continue to bottle-feed him until he is very successful at eating the food. I would offer him canned kitten food mixed 50:50 with kitten formula for at least the next several days and let him play in it and get the feel of it (this is very messy, like a human baby). Then you can slowly reduce how much formula is mixed with the canned food over the next two weeks. He will stop taking the bottle when he is meeting his calorie needs with the canned food. Once he is eating the canned food well, you can start offering dry kitten food.

Good luck with your kitten!

Best regards, ***** ***** this answer helps you.

Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions.

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University,

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

How is your kitten this evening? Any luck with the change of bowls and adding formula to the food. Do you have any more questions for me?

If you are satisfied with my assistance, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my answer so that I will be paid for helping you yesterday. For future questions, you can find me here: http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=88695179&FID=0

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda