Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My adult cat has had a runny nose, and s tongue has been

Customer Question

My adult cat has had a runny nose, and his tongue has been hanging out a little, with some drooling, andhes started yo twitch a little. he's still eating, using litter box, is active but not as active, shedding alot, I think he misses a cat we put down about 8 months ago he had a hard time at first could some of it (the exsesive shedding. Weight loss be depression)
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry about the passing of your kitty - I know that Pepper probably has been through a bit of a life change with that. Please give me a few moments to type out some thoughts for you

~Dr. Sara

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your patience!

While depression could cause a kitty to be off their food for a little while and lose a bit of weight, at 8 months out I would expect him to be recovered fully. Based on your description of his tongue hanging out and his excessive drooling, I'm concerned that he may be suffering from some dental disease. Because we don't brush our kitties' teeth, dental disease is quite common and can be very painful. Often cats hide their discomfort and we don't know that they're bothered until it's quite severe. At 11 years of age, Pepper also would definitely benefit from having some senior blood work to be sure that his internal organs are all functioning normally. Diabetes, kidney disease, and thyroid disease are all common causes of weight loss in cats.

The runny nose could be allergies or he could be developing a viral or bacterial upper respiratory infection. These can be random occurrences, or they could be brought about by other systemic illnesses (like the ones I mentioned above) that cause them to be more susceptible to respiratory infections.

Ideally, he should see his vet for a thorough physical exam, weight, and some senior blood work. This would give you a much better idea of what could be happening. I can't say that I'd be able to blame all of it on depression.

Let me know what other questions I can answer for you

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)