Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

20 month old female cat. story of recurring herpes in right

Customer Question

Hi. 20 month old female cat. History of recurring herpes in right eye since kitten. Was ok yesterday....this am very lethargic, not eating or drinking, right eye tearing and partially closed. Feels warm. Called vet...took this afternoon....fever of 104...recurrent herpes in right eye....left eye dilated...right is not. Blood and urine tested....glucose elevated in both...all else ok.Suspected diabetes. Another blood test...diabetes ruled out. Then vet comes back in....now possible FIP. I had a kitten ...18 months old....diagnosed with FIP...the wet type....lived one week. This cat has none of the same symptoms as the other. The vet I saw was new to this practice...very nice but I don't know anything about her. The one that I usually deal with was off today. Gave her I've fluids...strong antibiotic and steroid shots...return in two weeks. No ongoing Rx. I am hoping that it is not FIP....my animals are my babies. Is there anything else it could be? Thank you
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

I don't think this sounds like FIP. It sounds more like a primary upper respiratory issue. A viral ulcer in the right eye would lead to the discharge, small pupil and squinting. With neurologic disease causing anisocoria (different sized pupils), they are not usually showing any pain in the eyes and they don't have any discharge.

I would stain the eyes to look for ulcers, and then probably start an antibiotic drop and some oral anti-inflammatory meds to help bring the fever down- usually Onsior. The steroid and antibiotic injections should also help get things moving in the right direction. It's just a bit different than how I would typically treat. If the fever resolves and the ocular signs clear up, then we can safely rule out FIP. FIP will usually continue to get worse, despite our futile attempts at treating. It's a terrible disease. I think it's on the differential list, but pretty far down as compared to other upper respiratory or ocular conditions.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.