Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My tuxedo male stated waking me up in the middle of the

Customer Question

My tuxedo male stated waking me up in the middle of the night 3 mos ago. He never did that before . He would sleep with me all night with no disruptions. Recently now he will rub my face and head and lay on top of my head anything to wake me, please help.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. I'm sorry to hear about this nighttime activity with Reginald. Do you feel that he's not being as stimulated during the day? Is he not be interacted with as much?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are working all day.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are working all day
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm sorry for my delay as I stepped away for a bit. Is the working all day something that has changed since this started up? With a cat that is active more at night, this a lot of times is due to them doing what actually is natural for some. Cats by nature can be more active at night as this is when they prowl and can have more success catching rodents and things. If he was previously more stimulated during the day and playing / being active, then he wasn't resting as much then. He would then need to catch up more on his sleep at night and have better sleep then. If now he's sleeping more during the day, then he has more energy to be awake at night and be like this. The best thing to try in these types of situations is to have him be more active during the day, or at least during the time that you are there. If you can get more toys for him to play with while you're gone, that may help. Getting a bird feeder and placing it in a location outside of a window for him to be able to view is a good "day TV" for him to be entertained by the birds that visit it. Basically if birds are coming to the feeder and he's watching them / being entertained (not sleeping), then that will make him more tired at night and hopefully want to sleep better. When you are home, you could physically play with him more to get him more tired. A laser pointer or feather on a string / stick both are good for this. I would be hopeful that if you can get him more active during the day time, he'll sleep better at night.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?