Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

Cats 2 out of 4 has dark stuff by the eyes (tear ducks) the

Customer Question

cats 2 out of 4 has dark stuff by the eyes (tear ducks) the cat are eating well not sneezing or coughing
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon! I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with cats and dogs. I'm locked on to your question - there will be a delay of 5-10 minutes while I type out a response for you. You can reply at any time with more questions or further information. If you think you could attach some photos for me to review, that would be very helpful!

Thanks

~Dr. Sara

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

If there's no redness or swelling of the eyes and the tearing that you're seeing is watery not mucousy, then this is likely either blocked tear ducts, allergies, or viral infection like herpesvirus.

Kitties can get blocked tear ducts that cause watery tearing of the eyes. In this case it's a normal amount of tears but because the drainage system isn't working well, it spills out over the eyelids onto the fur. There's not a whole lot that can be done for blocked ducts. Sometimes they are scarred from old infections (this is the most common cause). Sometimes they are blocked from allergy related swelling. A skilled vet with good eyesight can flush the tear ducts of an anesthetized cat, although if the tearing isn't bothering the cat, this might be overkill. Often even after flushing, the ducts will block again.

A herpes viral infection can cause chronic tearing of one or both eyes. Herpes virus is a virus that is a life long infection. The vast majority of cats are infected with the herpes virus when they are quite young. Most kitties are able to keep their herpes virus in check and have no symptoms. Some cats with less robust immune systems can get bouts of recurrent eye problems, sneezing, and/or congestion. A dietary supplement called L-Lysine can be given to help keep the herpes virus in check. Lysine comes in multiple different forms including gels, powders, and treats. It can be bought over the counter at a pet store, online, or at a vet's office.

If you are able to post pictures, I'd be happy to review them and adjust my suggestions.

Please let me know what other questions I can answer for you.

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)