Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My cat was outside with the miniature dachshunds and I went

Customer Question

My cat was outside with the miniature dachshunds and I went inside for ten minutes. The little guy is about 6 months old . He is limping and bleeding from the mouth had two broken teeth and we took him to the vet. My consern is internal bleeding. How do I know if the little guy will live .
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm sorry to hear that your kitty has suffered some kind of injury. By the way, I LOVE his name!!!

If he's up and alert and moving about then it's not likely life threatening. I'm not sure from your post - is he at home now with you or still at the vet's office? How is he acting now?

I don't really like the use of aspirin in cats, as it has a very narrow therapeutic dosing range, meaning that it can be easily overdosed and cause significant toxicity. What did your vet do with him?

Internal bleeding is actually pretty uncommon in these guys - it's manifested by very pale gums, severe lethargy, and abdominal distention in some cases. We would use an abdominal ultrasound to look for fluid if we suspected internal bleeding.

I'll await your reply with more information.

~Dr. Sara