Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I have two 3 month old kittens. I got Jasper about 6 weeks

Customer Question

I have two 3 month old kittens. I got Jasper about 6 weeks ago, then his brother Rocky about 3 wks ago. They both have diarrhea. Jasper is starting to put on some weight, but Rocky is still bones. I feed them kitten food, which they do eat the adult food also. ( try to keep them out of it. They seem to eat good and drink good. I did give them some dewormer this morning. Is this diarrhea going to clear up? They seen healthy otherwise. They play indoor/outdoor often. Thank you for your help. Frances
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Hello Frances,

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Jasper. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Not all parasites are worms, so using a dewormer will not get rid of every parasite. The first thing I would do is to examine a stool sample under a microscope to look for things like Giardia or Coccidia. Coccidia is a common, one celled parasite that can cause diarrhea in kittens. If he has Coccidia, a course of a medication called Albon should help stop the diarrhea.

Diarrhea in kittens can be caused by many parasites, conditions and infections. Most of the time it does clear up as the kitten gets older.

I did take one kitten from the local shelter because he had such bad diarrhea he kept coming back after being adopted. I tested that kitten for so many diseases, did so many tests. He still had diarrhea after he was a year old! One of the toughest cases I ever had. What finally worked for him was being fed only Royal Canin GI diet. He is still on it, and as long as he only eats that diet, he is fine.

Probably Jasper will not be as bad as my cat. Most kitten diarrheas do get better after a short time. Have a stool sample checked, treat for Coccidia if they are there. If not, try a 5 day course of metronidazole for the diarrhea. Consider trying a different food. That is where I would start if he were my kitten.

Let me know what else I can answer or help with. Rebecca

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I hope you were able to see what I wrote. Can I help with or answer anything else?

Kindly consider rating my answer (always appreciated!); you can still get back to me with questions and updates after rating. Rebecca

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

How is Jasper doing? Can I help with or answer anything else?