Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

What is protocol and microplasma felis in a cat. How many

Customer Question

what is protocol for Doxycycline and microplasma felis in a cat. How many weeks is treatment?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.

hello there. I am happy to help you this evening. The protocol to treat mycoplasma in cats is Doxycycline is 2.5 mg/lb by mouth twice daily for 4 to 8 weeks depending on the severity of clinical signs. I always start with at least 4 weeks and then recheck the patient to make sure they are tolerating the medication and are doing well. The easiest way is the liquid medication and it is good for 2 weeks when reconstituted. So multiple vials will be needed. Meaning you will have to get another vial 2 weeks into treatment from your vet.

I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

cat never had any symptoms,PCR does not give any values, hate to start over so should I go longer than 4weeks?. cat is 7 months now, hope there is not a problem with stained teeth at this age?

Going 4 weeks would not be a bad thing to do. If your cat already has adult teeth staining will be less likely. If not then staining could be an issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is 6 months. Adult teeth are part way in

There is a chance that there will be some staining unfortunately