Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

I had a litter of kittens born 2 days ago. The mom is a

Customer Question

I had a litter of kittens born 2 days ago. The mom is a first time mom and not as attentive as other queens I have. I saw three kittens and I pulled the bedding out and put in new bedding. About 15 minutes later I noticed a baby lying on the tiled floor and he was ice cold but alive. He still had the cord and placenta attached and cat litter on him (may have been the first born), I ran him in the house, put him in a sink of warm (not hot) water to warm him and remove the cat litter. I cut the cord and then placed on a heating pad. He had respiratory problems until he warmed up but then he started to breathe better. I gave him an injection o PCN (appropriate dose, I am a nurse so I calculated). His back paws looked gray to me, but they were warm and one was a bit swollen. Yesterday they started to darken and today they are black, warm, nails are limp, some seepage from one paw. I assume he has circulation problems due to being cold. I am not sure if I should do more with his feet or if he could recover without losing his feet? I was going to go to the vet today but he was out of town. He does not appear to be in pain. I am feeding every two hours and he is eating. He is warm and so are his paws, but they are black. Suggestions?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.

Hello there. I am very sorry to hear about the kitten. I am happy to help you this evening. The feet are extremely concerning and he will have to be seen by your vet as soon as possible. Since he is doing well otherwise and is eating every 2 hours for you this is a good sign. Hold off on giving any more PCN as this can cause some issues in such a young kitten. The feet unfortunately are most likely necrotic due to loss of circulation. Your vet will have to address this when appropriate. they will most likely have to be surgically amputated so no sepsis occurs. but until then the most important thing is keeping him warm, fed, and hydrated. He will be a can with a lot of special needs so that should go into the decision of how far to go with treatment. With that being said he could live a perfectly long and healthy life even with these special needs. But you will want to have him seen by your vet or another vet before the weekend. So if you can have him seen tomorrow or saturday that would be best to make sure nothing else needs to be done. But so far it sounds like you are doing a wonderful job and he is lucky!

I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Whitehead