Ola Barrett
Ola Barrett,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Lake Chatuge Animal Hospital
77721119

What would make my cat drool

Customer Question

What would make my cat drool
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Ola Barrett replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am Dr. RB and I am a small animal veterinarian. There are several reasons why your cat could be drooling.. How long has the drooling being going on?

The simple reason would be if she ingested something she shouldn't that could be "salty" or have something stuck in her mouth making closure of mouth difficult. Try to gentle sweep your finger around the outside of her teeth and, if you someone to help you, gently open the mouth and see if anything is lodged in the roof of her mouth.

Also, note any sensitivity in her gums/teeth or any odor coming from her mouth. Gum disease and/or ulceration (gingivitis/stomatitis) as well as tooth infection (periodontitis) can result in excessive drooling.

If not of these symptoms are seen, drooling could be due to nausea.. This would be especially so if appetite is slightly decreased, if Anna has decreased symptoms or other signs you have seen.

I hope this is of help to you..

Hello again, I hope your little Anna is feeling better..If my advice helped, it would be greatly appreciated if you could take the time to give my response a positive rating? This would allow me to receive compensation for my expertise and time assisting you and your pet.. Much thanks