Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

I have a cat who is over 6 years old. I noticed that when

Customer Question

Hi. I have a cat who is over 6 years old. I noticed that when she is lying downto sleep she moans. She moans when she wakes up and stretches. When I call her name she looks like I scared her or something. What do you think? Virginia
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that Pixi is so uncomfortable. Based on your history, it sounds like she is in pain. Cats are very good at hiding their pain and can be difficult to diagnose.

The most likely cause of pain would be arthritis. Arthritis is most commonly found in the elbows and the lower back. Other causes would include abdominal pain, especially from the pancreas or the bladder.
I would recommend taking her to see your regular veterinarian. They will likely recommend blood work and a urinalysis and possibly a test for pancreatitis. They will also recommend x-rays of the spine and legs to see if there is arthritis.

Treatments are varied, depending on what they find. The best acute pain control is Buprenorphine, but this only lasts 6 to 8 hours. Long term treatments include an NSAID called Oncior, and nutritional management like glucosamine and fish oil.

Best regards, ***** ***** this answer helps you. Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions.

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University,

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

How is Pixi this evening? Were you able to take her to the vet today for an exam?

Do you have any more questions for me?

If you are satisfied with my assistance, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my answer so that I will be compensated for helping you today. For future questions, you can find me here: http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=88695179&FID=0

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Amanda Mouradian-Dar