Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

My cat is having trouble eating. She can't seem to be able

Customer Question

My cat is having trouble eating. She can't seem to be able to chew or take food into her mouth, despite being hungry. Her tongue is staying out and she can't seem to be able to get it back in her mouth. She is making a clicking noise with her mouth when she opens it.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.

Hello there. I am very sorry to hear about Julia. I am happy to help you this evening. Unfortunately with a cat her age the fact she cannot eat soft or hard food and cannot bring her tongue back in her mouth is a bad sign that she has suffered a significant injury to her mouth or jaw. She has to be seen by your vet as soon as possible. First thing in the morning will be ideal. She cannot go long without eating. So having her examined and treated as soon as possible is best. The most common cause of these issues is a broken or dislocated jaw. this can happen from falling off of something, fighting with another cat or animal or sometimes we don't figure out how it happened. These are treatable and she can be made to feel better soon. There is nothing that can be done at home. Messing with her mouth or jaw can cause extra damage or pain. She will need an exam and x rays to determine what is going on and the best way to fix it.

I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!