Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  12 year of veterinary experience in feline surgery, medicine and behavior
15186300

Our 12 week old kitten just had second set of shots

Customer Question

Our 12 week old kitten just had second set of shots including rabies. He's sleeping and really tired. Not running around. He also has been sneezing, but they checked him for a respiratory infection and said it came back negative. I'm used to kittens being crazy and energetic and wanting to play. Very worried.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Christian K. replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. Christian. I'd like to help. When was her surgery? Is she eating and drinking? Are her gums a normal pink color? Is she breathing normally?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
About 2 days ago. Her gums are pink. Eating and drinking sporadically. When she eats hard food, I can actually see her swallowing it down like she's trying to get it down. She's eating a small amount 2x/day. She sneezed 6x this am and I was concerned she had something in her nostril. Breathing normal. Purrs off and on.

Thank you for the information. The shots can definitely cause some lethargy and that should improve by tomorrow. As long as she continues to eat and drink she should be fine but if she stops then have her seen. It is common for kittens to get a viral respiratory infection that would have the symptoms you've described. It will take some time for her body to fight that off. If she develops green nasal or eye discharge then that could be a sign that antibiotics are needed. If she hasn't improved in 24 hours then have her rechecked. If you have more questions please reply back.