Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My 12 year old car has started to develop bald spots behind

Customer Question

My 12 year old car has started to develop bald spots behind both of her ears. I noticed one a few days ago behind her right ear and now there is a bald spot behind the other ear. She does not have fleas and is treated regularly. The bald spots are not sores, the fur is just gone all of a sudden. She doesn't seem to be in any pain when I pet or scratch her in that area and she has a normal appetite and bowel movements and seems as happy as she always does. Should I be worried? She has had no changes in diet or anything else.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Good evening, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with cats and dogs. I'm happy to provide you with some information on Charlie!

One thing I'd suggest checking for is ear troubles. Some cats will lose hair at the back side of the base of their ears when they have itchy ears from an ear infection or ear mites. Cats with ear infections will usually have accumulation of wax and debris in the ear canals and be very itchy when you touch around the ears. If the ears are totally clean and there's no scabbing or itching, that's when I'd consider a benign balding process.

I'd be happy to review pictures and adjust my suggestions if you could upload some!

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! Thank you so much :)

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.
Hi Katherine,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Doc Sara