Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

What can I do about my tabby longish hair hair ?she just

Customer Question

what can I do about my tabby longish hair hair balls ?she just threw up about 5 about the size of my little finger she is about 21/2 and never lickedh nerself until recently
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that PeeWee is having hairballs. The good news is that there are several different treatments that you can try.

First there is a nutritional supplement called Laxatone. This is a petrolatum based product that is flavored so that cats will eat it. You rub a 1 inch strip on their paw once daily and it lubricates the hairs so that they pass through the intestines instead of building up in the stomach waiting to be brought up via vomiting.

There are also several different dry food diets on the market labeled for hairballs that contain ingredients that also lubricate the hairs and help them slide through the intestines.

Frequent brushing of your kitty can also reduce the number of loose hairs on her body so that when she grooms herself, she will swallow less.

I hope this answer helps you. Feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

I am getting ready to log off for the evening, do you have any more questions for me? I will be back on-line tomorrow evening if you have any more questions.

Also, If you are satisfied with my assistance, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my answer so that I will be compensated for answering your question. For future questions, you can find me here: http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=88695179&FID=0

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda