Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My male cat, 14 years old, stops eating like he doesn't like

Customer Question

My male cat, 14 years old, stops eating like he doesn't like his food anymore. I tried new food and he was eating it right up and now after about 4 weeks, he doesn't seem to like that food now either. He has Urinary tract disease, so he's been on canned UR for more than 5 years. I understand why he's sick of it, so I switched him to Purina Pro Plan Focus Urinary Tract Health Formula Chicken entree. At first I just put it on top of the UR and he'd eat it first then eventually eat the UR. Then he stopped eating the UR, so I'm just feeding him the canned Urinary Tract formula, but now he's not eating that either. When I bring him to the Vet (multiple times), his blood work always comes back normal. So they give him a shot of food in the neck and an antibiotic shot and then within a day or two, he's eating again and acts normal for awhile, but then it starts over again. They said his teeth needed to be cleaned and extracted, so I had that done two months ago and that seemed to help.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about BaLue. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

When did he last have blood tests, and a urinalysis done? Do you have the results?

In my experience, when a cat stops eating and acts tired of the food they used to like, it is because of some internal disease. In older cats, I rule out liver disease, pancreatitis, intestinal disease like IBD, inflammatory bowel disease (many of our routine blood panels do not give us information about the pancreas, or intestines), heart disease, and kidney disease. Has he been checked for hyperthyroidism lately?

Injections of vitamin B 12 can help with pancreatic and intestinal function, and may improve appetite.

Is he losing weight? Is he drinking any more or any less water than usual?

Let me know about how recently blood tests were done, and a urinalysis; that might be helpful for me to help you. Rebecca

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

How is BaLue doing? Can I help with or answer anything else?