Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My cat often sits with her toungue sticking out slightly and

Customer Question

my cat often sits with her toungue sticking out slightly and even drips saliva after a while, also when she eats it seems like she has teeth problem and can only eat mousse food, any home remedies? cause she wont go to any vet
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with cats and dogs. I apologize for the delay in our response, but I suspect that the Experts may be hesitant to take on your questions because I'm afraid we all are going to tell you what you don't want to hear. That is, there's really nothing that you can do at home for her IF she does have dental disease. Just as there'd be nothing you could do at home for yourself if you had a painfully abscessed tooth, there's not much that can be done at home for a pet.

Now it's not unusual for some cats to allow their tongues to stick out a little and to drool when purring heavily, so if this rings a bell, it could be normal for her. I would expect, though, that if i'ts normal then it would be something she has always done. If this is a new development, I'd be more likely to suspect painful disease in her mouth.

Now we are used to cats who don't like the vet. In fact, the majority of pets have to have full anesthesia to assess what's going on inside their mouths. More good news is that if your vet is able to even get a cursory exam including checking her heart with a stethoscope and observing her overall condition and she appears to be healthy, then anesthesia is quite low risk.

Again, I know that this isn't really what you're hoping to hear, but I owe it to you (and to my own ethics) to be completely honest. I also owe it to your kitty to help protect her long term quality of life - I hope you can understand.

Please let me know what other questions I can answer for you

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! Thank you so much :)

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Doc Sara