Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  12 year of veterinary experience in feline surgery, medicine and behavior
15186300

I have a 15 yr. old cat with renal failure. The only signs

Customer Question

I have a 15 yr. old cat with renal failure. The only signs she shows are excessive drinking. She is full of energy, eats extremly well and constantly cleans her coat. her BUN was 57. Creatine 4.2. with no other symptoms but drinking, what stage is she in and is she doing realativly good?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Christian K. replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. Christian. I'd like to help. Did her blood work numbers improve after the IV fluids? Is the diet currently her only therapy?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know, I haven't gotten a new one yet. And yes, fancy feast, KD dry food and trying to get her on KD Wet but not taking to it

Thank you for the information. It is great news that she is doing so well with her lack of symptoms and based on that and her blood work numbers she sounds like she is in the early stages of renal failure. When renal failure is caught this early there is a very good prognosis for long term management. At some point her disease will worsen and cause her the symptoms associated with the disease such as weight loss, decreased appetite and vomiting but there is hope that you can prevent that happening for months to even a year or more. The diet and lots of fluids are important so mixing water or warm low sodium chicken broth with her food to encourage her to get more fluids will help. Typically I recommend checking the blood work every 3-6 months, along with her weight, to determine how she is doing and adjust her treatment as needed. At some point she will likely need a medication to lower her phosphorous levels and possibly even fluids given under the skin at home to help slow down the advancement of the disease. If you have more questions please reply back.