Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

Would an anal gland cleaning cause a renal failure lab

Customer Question

would an anal gland cleaning cause a renal failure lab results for BUB, CA, PHOS and CRE. ? medication currently prescribedmediuma one half tab twice gaily. just seems odd that a anall cleaning could have prompted a renal failure situation. ant help for my 15 year old cat who never had problems before.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

No, there's no relationship between anal gland expression and renal failure. A 15 year old with elevations in those values is most likely to be suffering from chronic renal insufficiency as a consequence of tubulointerstitial degeneration in the kidneys. Please clarify "mediuma" for me, please. Can you upload a copy of all of your cat's test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy of the results at home but his vet should be able to give you one which you could scan into your computer and give me the link or you can photograph the page(s) and upload the images by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see such an icon) or by using an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. A urinalysis is essential to complete the assessment of kidney disease. Was a urinalysis performed?