Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My cat has a rectal gland abcess and has had it treated by

Customer Question

My cat has a rectal gland abcess and has had it treated by my vet. She's wearing a cone while it heals and I've been weaning her off the pain medication. However, it's been almost two weeks Nd her eyes are still largely dilated. Is this normal or is this
an indication of something wrong? Stress? Pain! Any info. You could send my way is appreciated! Best, ***** *****
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet Lucy today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Is the abscess healed yet? Which pain meds is Lucy on? How is she acting in general?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your questions. The abcess is not healed yet. She wriggled out of the cone last week and got at it during the night & licked it raw again. It is getting better because I got a bigger cone. It doesn't look as raw as it was, but does not have any scabbing yet. I don't have the name of the pain meds with me, as I'm out of the house right now. It is oral liquid via mouth and I give her it 1-2 times a day. She has been low energy, but it is eating and drinking just fine. She has been a bit sensitive these past few days and is not her usual friendly self. A week ago My vet said the dilation would go away, and it has a tiny bit, but her eyes are still mostly pupil. Should I be worried about this? I can send the name of the pain meds in an hour when I am home and have access to them.

Whether the eyes are normal will depend on what meds he is on. Just let me know when you get home. You can take your time I am concerned that the abscess hasn't healed yet.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been having a hard time keeping her away from it. Need with the bigger cone, she rubs the plastic against it and licks the inside of the cone. How long should it take to heal?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Even with the cone (not 'need')

I would expect it to heal within 7-10 days especially in cats. You can try an inflatable one which can be bought online or at petsmart. They are usually more comfortable