Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinary Associate at Acres Mill Veterinary Clinic
87969507

My 4 year old female is urinating on counter tops, floors,

Customer Question

My 4 year old female is urinating on counter tops, floors, etc. What can I do to stop this?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet Rosie today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? How long has this been going on for? Is she going in her litter box at all? Are you noticing any blood in the urine? Any recent changes in the environment such as a new pet, recent move, etc.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she began doing this after my daughter moved her cats in with us. She does goes to the litter box most of the time, however, she will do this 2-3 times a week. There is no blood in the urine.

Okay thanks for the additional information. She may be doing this because of the other cats in the house. Does she get along with them? One thing you may want to do is to first rule out a medical condition for the new behavior such as an urinary tract infection. This will require bringing a sample to your veterinarian so it can be tested. If it ends up being behavioral then there are some options that you may want to try to see if it will help curb the behavior. One is a product called Feliway which is a pheromone spray or diffuser that helps alleviate anxiety in cats. It can be bought on Amazon and other online pet stores as well. If that doesn't work you may want to ask your veterinarian about options for oral medications to see if they help. The most common ones prescribed include Amitryptylline and Buspar. I have seen some success with my patients who have similiar problems.