Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I just brought a new baby kitten home yesterday and she has

Customer Question

I just brought a new baby kitten home yesterday and she has been hiding ever since. I don't know if she's eaten or drank water. I'm very worried. How can I best handle this?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your kitten. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

How old is she? Are there other cats in the house?

She may be missing her mother, or other kittens. Some kittens are naturally bold, and will be eating and running all over your house in the first 5 minutes, and others are more shy, and take days or even longer to adjust to the new home. I once brought home a kitten that stayed behind the refrigerator for a week.

I usually start new kitten in a small room, like the guest bathroom, with the litter, food and water and a bed, and let them show me how much they want to come out and interact with the rest of the people or pets in the house. If there are other cats in the house, I block and tie the door so that only the kitten can fit through the door.

Keep offering to play with her with strings, little light balls, and catnip. If she seems sick at all, or continues to not eat, you might want to have her checked out by your veterinarian to be sure she is not ill.

She probably just needs some time to adjust, and you just have to be patient and not push her too much. If she is really young, and was taken straight away from nursing, she may have to learn to eat, but a healthy kitten will not starve to death.

Let me know how she is doing and what other questions you have. Rebecca

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I hope you were able to see what I sent. Can I help with or answer anything else? How is she doing?

Kindly consider rating my answer (always appreciated!); you can still get back to me with questions and updates after rating.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

How is the kitten doing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Kitten is still not socialized. I get her out of her various hiding places and hold her and pet her, and she purrs, but she runs away and hides as soon as I let go of her. She knows that I feed her. Will she get better?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

How old is she? That will help me to know if she will get better. If kittens are not socialized to people, and handled early, they never are as well socialized as kittens that are handled early. I got a 6 week old kitten that had been traumatized (the farmer had killed the mother and the rest of the kittens), and he was never a cuddler, always fearful, and I had him for 18 years.

The only things I know to try are to be patient, offer her attention and affection and toys but don't push it. Each cat is an individual, some are just not cuddlers and affection seeking.

Let me know how she is doing. Rebecca