Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My cat Piper has feline leukemia and has just recently

Customer Question

My cat Piper has feline leukemia and has just recently contracted a respiratory virus. He wheezes constantly. My vet gave a perscription for Amoxycillin 1/2 ml per day, and just recently added Orbax same dose in the evening before bed. Piper barely eats, spends most of his time sleeping, and has lost weight. We give him Nutrical, each day as a supplement.
I want Piper to be happy and at ease, but his breathing concerns me. Sometimes he sneezes or coughs out phlegm which is usually yellow in color, but he still seems plugged up most of the time. Is there some way that my wife and I can make our kitty sneeze so that we can catch the phlegm in a tissue before he reingests it?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I'm sorry to hear about your cat.

These viral infections can take longer to resolve in our leukemia + cats. I like to use an antibiotic (usually Clavamox) along with Lysine for it's anti-viral properties. I would also recommend nebulizing him at home. You can get a pediatric nebulizer at a pharmacy. You can nebulize saline to him 2-4 times daily for a few minutes. This is the best way to moisten the nasal mucosa and help get some of that debris mobilized and excreted.

If you can't get a nebulizer, then I would just run a hot shower and let him breathe in the steam a couple times daily. You can also get little noses saline nose drops to instill into the nares. The key is to moisten the lining of the respiratory tract so that he can get the debris and infection out.

This should clear up, but it can take 7-14 days in some of these cats.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.