petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

My cat is 8 years old. He is currently on Royal Canin

Customer Question

My cat is 8 years old. He is currently on Royal Canin Hydrolozied Protein dry food, but he is still vomiting almost daily. I'm concerned, what could be wrong with him?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information in order to better assist you if you don't mind.

How long has he been vomiting?

Is he losing weight?

Has he ever been examined for this problem or had any sort of work up?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got him at age 8 and yes, I think he has had this problem for awhile, that's why he is on the special cat food. He doesn't seem to be losing weight, but his fur is thining. He won't touch any human food. He's a purebred ragdoll cat, so yes he has been seen by a vet with his previous owner.
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the reply.

A hydrolyzed protein diet is usually fed when it is thought that there may be a food allergy leading to skin or GI disease. In his case, if he is vomiting daily, a food allergy is likely not the problem or is only a small part of it. He very likely has GI disease, especially if he was previously worked up to rule out other causes. Unfortunately, GI conditions such as inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) or even slowly progressing intestinal cancer can be present and there can be no other abnormalities noted on bloodwork, xray or even ultrasound, although these tests should be run to rule out other conditions that present with the same symptoms. There is a specific GI blood panel that can be requested and if abnormalities noted, can lend support to either pancreatic or intestinal disease. The only way however, to confirm the diagnosis is with a biopsy of the intestine. This can be done via endoscope, but is better performed with an exploratory surgery. The problem with this is that many cat owners are not willing to pursue the diagnosis by these means. It is for that reason that many cats are "suspected" to have IBD or GI cancer as the cause of their GI signs once all of the other easy to find things have been ruled out.

I would definitely have him evaluated by a veterinarian and have his previous work up reviewed. If it is concluded that he is likely dealing with either IBD or possible intestinal cancer, there are medications that can be used to control his symptoms and your veterinarian can decide which may be appropriate for him. Vomiting that frequently is not normal and GI disease is very common in cats, but many cats who are treated respond very well and the symptoms resolve or are controlled, often long term.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

Dr Z