Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My cat is 19 years old and we have just found her fly how do

Customer Question

My cat is 19 years old and we have just found her fly blown how do we treat this please
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear about your cat. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Do you mean she has maggots in her?

These cats are often in shock, and need treatment like IV fluids and antibiotics. For the maggots, a dose of Capstar (an over the counter oral flea pill) will kill them, but they still have to be removed by picking them out, and flushing the maggot holes with sterile saline fluid.

Let me know if this is what you mean by fly blown, and what other questions you have. Rebecca

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is thank you
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Can you get her to a veterinarian?

Until then, get the Capstar if you can, and try to remove the maggots. I use special "curve tip" syringes to flush them out, and surgical instruments like hemostats to pull them out. You probably don't have these things at home, so taking her to a veterinarian would be best.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Is there anything else I can help with or answer?

Let me know how she is doing. Kindly consider rating my answer (always appreciated!); you can still get back to me with questions and updates after rating.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

How is she doing?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

How is your cat today? Kindly consider rating my answer (always appreciated!); you can still get back to me with questions and updates after rating.