Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat ate the powder of a restoril 15 mg He's acting drunk

Customer Question

My cat ate the powder of a restoril 15 mg
He's acting drunk but heart rate is fine.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago?

How much do you think he had? All 15mg?

How much does he weigh?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
An hour ago. There's some powder on the nightstand. 15#
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Now this is a benzodiazepine drug that we do not really use in cats, but do use a precursor drug (Diazepam). Therefore, we know that it is not an outright toxicity. Still, the dose Miles has had is quite significant (~2mg/kg) and his signs tell us that he has already absorbed some of this drug. And further to wobbliness, we can see this cause lethargy, sedation, weakness, collapse, and slowing of the heart and breathing rate. So, we need to tread with care.

Therefore, an hour on (and since his current signs make the induction of vomiting too risky), we are a bit limited in our options. To bind any lingering drug, we could still use OTC from your local pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas). It works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Otherwise, we'd need to monitor him for the next 8-12 hours as the drug passes through his system. If you were to see any worsening of his signs or his heart/breathing rates did slow, then we'd need to think about having him seen urgently for IV fluids and symptomatic treatment to keep those rates within their normal ranges as we flush the drug from his system.

In this situation, just in case you do wish to see an ER vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OTC what? I don't see name of drug.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Oh dear, it seems the spell check ate what I typed. I was referring to over the counter activated charcoal (you can see I mentioned it again two sentences later). That will help bnd any drug he has not yet absorbed.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thanks!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Best wishes for Miles,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. ** Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )