Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My 13yr.old cat starting laying in the litter box, he had a

Customer Question

my 13yr.old cat starting laying in the litter box, he had a tourmer removed about a 2 months ago. it was cancer. this is a new thing for him. should I be councerned
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Good evening, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with cats and dogs. I'm sorry to hear that your kitty's not feeling well tonight. What's his name? I'd like to get a little more information on him so that I can give you the most complete answer:

• Was there a biopsy done on the tumor removed from him?
  • Where was the tumor?
  • Is he eating, drinking and eliminating normally?

Thanks and I'll await your reply :)

~Dr. Sara

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His name is ***** ***** tumor was removed on his side by his back leg it came back cancerous. He is eating not sure about drinking and eliminating I have 3 other cats, so it's hard to tell
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the additional information, that's quite helpful. I also understand the challenge of monitoring the litter box habits of multiple cats!

It is unusual for a cat to start laying in the litter box like that. Unfortunately it's a very nonspecific sign, meaning that lots of different things can cause it. It could be a random fluke, in which case he may never do it again. Sometimes I think they are seeking cool places - especially if they have a fever. I consider any rectal temperature over 102.5 to be a fever that should be investigated. It's difficult for me to comment more on the recent mass removal without knowing what type of cancer it was. Some are obviously more aggressive than others. More aggressive tumors can spread to internal organs and cause an overall feeling of illness and make them look or act generally "unwell". If his breathing is not labored and his gums are pink and moist, it's not likely an emergency, but it might be worth having your vet take a look at him when you can to see if anything new has developed.

Please let me know what other questions I can handle for you.

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! Thank you so much :)