Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

My 6 year neutered old male cat has been treated urinary

Customer Question

Good evening. My 6 year neutered old male cat has been treated for a urinary tract infection. He was completely blocked. His vet treated him by placing a cath and IV fluids for 2 days. When we took him home after the second days, he was still having a hard time urinating, so we took him back. The vet was able to manually express his bladder and he stayed another 4 days with IV fluids. He was on an anti inflammatory (I gave him the last one this morning) Antibiotic and something to help dissolve the crystals, plus Royal Canin food for urinary support. Sunday, when the vet called to give us an update, she noted that he was running a fever. She had not given him an Anti inflammatory on Saturday because he had been doing so well, she gave it to him when she noticed the fever. We brought him home yesterday and he seemed ok, just tired. This morning we gave him all his meds including his last anti inflammatory. Tonight we took his temp and it is at 104.
His vet office is closed and the phone goes to the UF emergency clinic over an hour away. Do you think it will be ok to wait till the morning to see his vet or should we go to the Vet ER? Is there anything we can do at home?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely mannert. 104F isn't critically elevated. Normal body temperature ranges between 100.5-102.5F. Normally aspirin would be indicated but you've already dosed him with an antiinflammatory today and so dosing with the nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug aspirin can be troublesome. Do you happen to have an antibiotic for him at home?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?