Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My Siamese cat is about 88 years old and has been diagnosed

Customer Question

My Siamese cat is about 88 years old and has been diagnosed with kidney issues and dehydration although she drinks lots of water and has a cold wet nose what are some of the symptoms of a kidney problems and dehydration
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B,a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

I am very sorry to hear about Opel's recent diagnosis. Now kidney disease is one of the most common conditions of the elderly cat. Common clinical signs are increased thirst, increased urination (with dilute unconcentrated urine --which is why she drinks a lot but still ends up dehydrated), and weight loss. With advancement of the disease, we can also see increased risk of bladder infections, nausea, vomiting, appetite depression, ammonia scented breath and weakness. And for severely affected cats, we can even see oral ulcers, breathing issues, anemia, or neurological signs (due to kidney toxins building up in the blood).

Finally, in regards ***** ***** signs, we can see dry/sticky gums, sunken eyes, and dehydrated cats can also have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). It does show these signs on a dog, but checking for them is just the same for cats.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )