Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

A friend of mine has a 5 year old male cat that is having

Customer Question

A friend of mine has a 5 year old male cat that is having difficulty breathing. He has not ever had any prior medical issues, and is on no medication at this time. She noticed last Saturday (two days ago) that when he is awake and alert he makes a rattling
or crackling sound when he breathes almost like he has fluid in his throat. He swallows hard and makes like a wheezing sound. He doesn't do this when he's asleep only when he is awake and alert. Can you please suggest a course of action?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Sorry that another expert hasn't responded to you quicker. Are you still looking for assistance?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the response, Is George acting fine otherwise in regards ***** ***** and activity? Is George an indoor or outdoor cat? One thing I would be concerned about based on the symptoms you described it possible asthma. This is usually due to an a possible allergy which causes inflammation in the lungs leading to wheezing. Sometimes this can be diagnosed with x-rays of the chest and treatment for this is usually a steroid treatment and some cats need an inhaler if they can tolerate it. I would recommend that George has x-rays performed to rule out asthma or anything else more serious.