Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My 16 year old cat is showing signs of kidney disease he is

Customer Question

My 16 year old cat is showing signs of kidney disease he is at the stage where he is passing blood in his urine if my question is is it too late for him to go to the vet
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has also lost a lot of weight and body mass and is hardly eating
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

A 16 year old cat is more likely than not to be suffering from chronic renal insufficiency but hematuria (blood in the urine) isn't necessarily seen with this insufficiency. Instead, it's more consistent with a bacterial urinary tract infection or idiopathic (unknown cause) cystitis in our cats. I also need to consider uroliths (stones) and transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder/urethra at Woodle's advanced age.

I recommend having his vet thoroughly examine Woodle including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests. The urinalysis should reveal infection if it's present and is an important diagnostic to evaluate along with the kidney tests BUN, creatinine, and serum phosphorus which tell me how well Woodle's kidneys are functioning. His weight loss and inappetence are highly suggestive of renal insufficiency which may or may not be effectively treatable at this point. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.