Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

Our vet unavailable-have not enough insulin til return. can

Customer Question

our vet unavailable-have not enough insulin til return. can we go from 10cc of vetsulin 40U to using novolin N 100U? we have correct syringe for the novolin N 100U. what is dosage if can be substituted? this is for my cat.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Unfortunately these insulins are not interchangeable. A cat can be changed to Novolin for the long-term, but it does not work quite like Vetsulin. So, it's not something that I can give you what would be a comparable dose and even begin to guess if Brandon will respond the same. If we ever do a switch like this, we calculate the comparable dose and then we have to do a glucose curve 7 days after starting to know if it's the right dose. There is also potential for overdosing, again because the insulins are not interchangeable. I am very worried about you doing this switch without consulting with your vet and having a vet you can run Brandon in to be seen for the needed followup or if he's having a crisis after you start. The absolute best is to continue the VEtsulin. Given the length of time you will be out my best recommendation would be to either order this online (which your veterinarian can then approve -- can be found at most online pet pharmacies; even if out of town then there has to be another vet in the office to look at this or your vet should from afar be able to approve the script; if you absolutely cannot reach this particular vet via phone then you probably need to have a back-up vet in the area that you can use for these problems) or have your veterinarian ship it to you from their main office or potentially if there is a Target near you they may carry this and your vet may be able to authorize a refill at the store.

We online cannot approve this for you, unfortunately because we would need to perform an examination in order to be able to prescribe a product. This is something your veterinarian is going to have to do.

If you are adamant in simply going to NOvolin (which is also prescription and usually requires an initial script) then I can try to calculate an approximate dose but please heed my warnings above that it's not a simple switch. They are not the same. There are no people insulins that are comparable to Vetsulin. As well, I do not understand what you have written for his current dose of vetsulin (10cc...that is way way too much or do you mean 10 units or is he on 20 units?).

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hi Joseph,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Joey