Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My senior cat enters the litter box but doesn't turn around

Customer Question

my senior cat enters the litter box but doesn't turn around and therefore pees outside of the litter box thru the opening she entered through, how can I get her to turn around and pee in the box
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry you are having trouble. Older cats get disoriented when they enter a covered box.

I solved this problem by using a small plastic sand box that is sold in Walmart for children.

It is round instead of a rectangle, giving the cat plenty of room to turn around.

Or you can use a homemade box like this:

Attachment: 73de31d8-d2a7-4af1-ab23-2c06d9a21675_homemade_deep_litter_box_s2.jpg

Please let me know how this works for Tasha.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed and I will always be here for you and your kitty.

Love,

Terri

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I actually do not have a covered container
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
cannot open the attachment
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.

It is most likely too small for her. I had a similar problem where the cats butt would hang over the small box and pee would go on the floor. She had no idea she was doing anything wrong. Since I got the bigger sandbox she is more comfortable and the waste stays in the box.

http://www.toysrus.com/products/kids-sandboxes.jsp

I got the small one for babies.

What do you think?

Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.
Hi Norm,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
purrfectkitty