Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I have two 4-year old female litter mates who have loved

Customer Question

I have two 4-year old female litter mates who have loved each other so much that they would use each other as pillows sleeping as well as other acts of affection. One is so obese that she cannot properly groom herself. She had mats on her hind quarters so bad that I had to take her to the vet to be shaved under sedation in that area. She was gone from 7 am to 5 pm and when I brought her back her scent was so different that her sister is growling, hissing, and swatting at her. It has been 3 days and I am so upset. What can I do?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Now this is not an uncommon situation, since cats do rely quite heavily on their sense of smell. Due to Callie smelling like the vets, Dora isn't sure if this is really her friend even if she looks the same. And if Callie isn't great at grooming, this questionable scent is going to linger and continue to confuse Dora.

Therefore, to start, you will want to try to help Callie get rid of that "vet smell." To do so, try first brushing Dora with a brush and then doing so with Callie. You can even rub any cat blanket or bedding Dora uses on Callie to further give her a familiar cat scent. That way we are reducing Callie's alien smell and making her smell like what Dora will recognize.

Finally, since this will be making both cats quite stressed, we'd want to consider using a de-stressing treatment here. That way we can reduce their anxiety and try to help Dora settle and realize that this is actually her friend. Often in these cases we will use Feliway (also known as Comfort Zone in the pet stores), which is a synthetic cat pheromone that helps to relieve stress, promote relaxation, and reduce tension. Or you could consider a nutritional supplement that can be mixed into food like Kalmaid or Zylkene. Both of these are very good at soothing anxious/stress situations in cats. As well, there are treats like Composure (available via Amazon) and even a Bach Flower Remedy for cats. And as these are not drugs per say, they can be used in combination as need be.

Overall, this is not an uncommon situation and often only lasts until the odd smelling cat grooms away that unfamilar odor. But since Callie isn't renowned for her grooming, we'd want to use the above to give her a hand and to diffuse their current situation.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

** Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns,please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I canto provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)