Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

My approximately 10 year old alley cat that I found 5 years

Customer Question

my approximately 10 year old alley cat that I found 5 years ago has always had a lot of wax dark brown wax in his ears but not might he snorted since the day we found him and had noisy breathing but the vet told me just to leave it alone cuz he was happy he is now heavier and you snorted a little bit more sometimes the black wax goes completely away because I keep cleaning it out with Q tips regularly but all of a sudden tonight he was here was bent I went to touch it and he cried and has a funny smell and there's some dark ear wax and a tiny bit of blood on the cotton ball does a cat this old have nasopharyngeal polyps is that what could be making him snort all the time and breathe like he's snoring when he sleeping noisy sound he was eating and drinking and running should I just try to treat him for an ear infection first the only thing I have at home tonight is some hererbofloxacin that he had once before 4 an linfectiond have nasopharyngeal polyps
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I gave him a whole Erbofloxacin pill
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. A systemic antibiotic such as that pill may be of value if inner/middle ear infection (otitis interna/media) is present but is rarely necessary if infection is restricted to the external ear canal (otitis externa). Moses's vet needs to thoroughly irrigate that ear, perform a cytology on the exudate looking for excessive numbers of bacteria or yeast and if excessive numbers of bacteria are seen, perform a culture and sensitivity on those bacteria. The chronicity of Moses's ear trouble dictates this kind of testing because it's likely that you're going to need to treat this ear for quite some time and you'll need to know the very best antibiotic to use. To answer you directly, yes, a polyp should be considered in these cases. Moses's vet can scope the ear once it's thoroughly cleansed to evaluate the integrity of the eardrum and see if a polyp is visible in the ear canal. Moses might also be anesthetized and have his oropharynx scoped in an attempt to see a polyp in that area.

I regret that I'm not allowed to communicate with customers by phone. Please stay in this conversation.

Please clarify the name of the antibiotic. Your auto-correct has garbled it.