Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My 12 year old cat has been going around in circles then

Customer Question

my 12 year old cat has been going around in circles then peas
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Hi there - I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with cats and dogs. I'm really sorry to hear that your kitty isn't feeling well tonight. I'd like to get some more information to help me understand the situation:

• Is your kitty a male or female?
  • has he/she ever had any urinary issues before
  • is he/she able to pass urine at all?
  • Are you seeing any blood in the urine?

Thanks and I'll await your reply :)

~Dr. Sara

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

I haven't heard back from you, so I'm going to give you my thoughts based on what info you gave me.

If you cat is a male, then this could potentially be an issue. Male cats are prone to urinary blockages that can become life threatening. Cats with a urinary blockage usually start out by having increased frequency and small volumes of urine and progress to being completely unable to urinate, which causes severe abdominal pain. If left go long enough, they will become quite ill and will die if they aren't able to urinate and they go completely untreated.

In female kitties, straining or increased frequency with urination isn't usually a sign of an impending obstruction (although it still can be, it's just less likely). Female cats are a bit more likely to have a plain old bladder infection or possibly a bladder stone that could cause urinary symptoms like urgency, increased frequency, or blood in the urine. In the case of a bladder infection, a prescription of antibiotics would do the trick. If there's a stone, the treatment may involve dietary changes or potentially surgery to remove the stone.

Please update me when you can about your kitty :)

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! Thank you so much :)

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kay,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Doc Sara