Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

I have an 11 year old Manx. He has mild spina bifida. He was

Customer Question

I have an 11 year old Manx. He has mild spina bifida. He was breed incorrectly so he half hops like a rabbit and half drags his rear legs behind him. He likes to play when he wants to run he can go fast. He has large muscular front legs from the over compensating. He is real sweet love to be pet. Especially loves to eat. But he seems to be getting these little black dots looks like they are in the pores and is losing the hair around his neck. He doesn't wear a collar. I thought it was cat acne so I put rubbing alcohol on a cotton swab and tried to scrub it but nothing on the cotton swab. Should I be concerned?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

It does sound as if you're describing comedones (blackheads) consistent with feline acne but these form on the chin, the lower lip, and occasionally, the upper lip. Comedones are also seen with M. canis (ringworm) infection which would be consistent with hair loss around his neck. Can you upload a close-up photo of these dots to our conversation? A macro lens is best for a a close-up photo. You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if that icon is visible) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here are the best pictures I can get of his neck he acts like he doesn't want me to see it unless I'm letting him.

Thank you! I need you to do something for me. See if you can collect some of those black dots and then wet them with water. I need to see if they turn red; if so, they would represent flea feces which are mostly blood. If they don't turn red, either comedones or follicular plugs (formed in an inactive follicle due to excessive keratin produced) are present.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It stayed black/brown. Is there anything I should do for comedones or the follicular plugs?

Thank you for checking that for me. If Skylar goes outside it would be prudent to have his vet perform a fungal culture on hairs surrounding the hair loss. If Skylar is purely indoors, a ringworm fungus isn't likely. In that case you can spot bathe those areas twice weekly or as need be with an antiseborrheic shampoo containing combinations of benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, sulfur, and/or phytosphingosine. You'll need to avoid the antiseborrheic tar in cats. These shampoos are available over the counter and at your vet hospital. Please continue our conversation if you wish.