Dr B
Dr B, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

I need help. I just adopted a 12 week old kitten and not

Customer Question

Hi! I need help. I just adopted a 12 week old kitten and not sure if her living arrangement is sufficient for her needs.
Is it ok for a kitten to live in a "kitten suite" type large cage (51x36x23) day and night if I let her out 2-3x times a day to run and play with her?
I just don't know if this is sufficient for her physical and emotional needs or if I will have to give her up.
The goal is to eventually get her used to our outdoor backyard so that she can come and go as she pleases, but this won't be until she is an adult.
I don't want to create any behavioral issues by doing this either, so need to know if it can do that.
THANK YOU!!!
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

Hi this is DRB and I would be happy to help you with this. Unfortunately , this is not a good idea at all. Cats must have lots of room to be free and roam at will. Otherwise they will go slowly crazy. I am very very sorry to have to break this news to you and do appreciate what you are trying to accomplish, but this situation will not work for her. It would be in her best interest if you place her in another home if she has to be in a cage. Again, I am sorry to have to tell you this, but you did ask and I would be remiss if I were not honest with you.I hope this helps you. Sincerely, DRB

Please hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you very much.

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I have to go to bed for the night as I have big surgery day tomorrow. But please feel free to leave any follow up questions you have here and I will get back with you tomorrow night. Most Sincerely, DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mindi,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr B