Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I have a new kitten about 5 months, she has been in a

Customer Question

I have a new kitten about 5 months, she has been in a fight... her eye will not shut and I can see holes is her stomach. My vet is out-of-town. She will be back tonight. Flies are all around her what can I do?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about BB. You say she has some holes in her stomach? You meant the skin of her stomach? Is she alert/awake? Is she crying in pain or does she seem fairly calm?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is clam
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not, she is just sitting on the deck and flies all around her, I just don't know how to help her, My vet is out today but will be back tonight.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried giving her a bath to see what was going on with her, that is what I found.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know she is in pain or I think she is, she is not crying, just sitting still.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she is wake
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you still with me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is there anything I can do?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please help me
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, I am here

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

The system is being a little slow. Did you try to send a photo of her wounds? you said "this is what I saw" but I didn't see any photo.

Is she alert? breathing ok? Do her gums look pink?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
never mind... I just thought you could help.. I did the $22 but that's ok I am going to go do the best I can.
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Well, if you give me a little more information I may be able to help her- did you see my last question?

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

I would recommend bringing her inside first thing so that the flies cant get her. If she will let you wash her wounds with mild soapy water, then apply a triple antibiotic ointment to the areas that are open as well.

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

If her eye is having trouble closing or is dirty and you have any eyewash solution at home, you can use that to rinse her eye off. Keep her in a warm spot in case she is having trouble keeping herself warm. She is going to need oral antibiotics or an antibiotic shot, so she does need to get into your vet as soon as they are able to see her, or she could get a more severe infection. If you aren't able to get her in until tomorrow but she can't close her eye, I would recommend putting artifical tears on her eye to help it from getting dried out. You can get these over the counter at the pharmacy.