Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My cat has lost 1 lb, has skin sores all down one side which

Customer Question

My cat has lost 1 lb, has skin sores all down one side which he first lost his hair but I treated it with Vetericyn and the fur has grown back.
I took him to the vet because of the weight loss and his hiding. His EOS is 8.63 K/ul; Baso is 4.45 K/uL; PLT is 691 KpL & WBC is 27.66K/pL. Everything else is normal.
My vet thinks he has leukemia. He gets in cat fights and has had these injuries before, but it was the weight loss I was concerned with, plus his hiding (which he does when he doesn't feel well.
What are your thoughts?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I'm sorry to hear about your cat.

The first thing I would do, is make sure there was a thyroid panel or T4 run. This is to rule out hyperthyroidism. That would be my main rule out with weight loss, hair loss and skin lesions in an older cat. If that was ruled out, then I would proceed to other diagnostics.

Here's a nice set of write ups on hyperthyroidism in cats: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=516

If it's not hyperthyroidism, then I would biopsy one of the skin lesions. It doesn't sound like leukemia to me. It sounds more like an auto-immune disease that is leading to the skin lesions. The biopsy would confirm this. Treatment is then with steroids- Prednisolone +/- other immuno-suppressant meds.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?