Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I think out cat ingested Effexor. What do I need to do?

Customer Question

Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Effexor is 150mg. One was chewed and we found another one in his water dish. He is quiet and docile, not running around which would be normal. He weighs 7 to 8 pounds.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The pill bottle reads venlafaxine hcl 150 mg
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your cat. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

How many pills total, could he have gotten? How long ago?

For some reason, cats love Effexor; it seems to taste good to them.

If he ate these less than an hour ago, inducing vomiting and seeing if you can get him to vomit the pills up might be a good idea. Unfortunately, it can be difficult to induce vomiting in cats. Going to an emergency clinic to induce vomiting, and for monitoring for the effects of the Effexor would be best.

Let me do some research about the dose in a cat his size. Did he get more than one? I will be back in a moment.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is two missing, we found one that was collapsed in with the capsule intact. The other one we did not find. we have been home a couple of hours but we're gone 6 hours.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

If he got one pill, 150 mg, he got 40 mg per kilogram of body weight (all drug dosages and toxic doses are calculated in mg per kg). It will last up to 3 days, and can cause sedation, ataxia (walking like he is drunk), muscle tremors. How is he acting?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

If he ate it more than an hour ago, getting him to vomit will not help. Some cats are just showing symptoms but continue to eat and drink until it wears off. If the muscle tremors get bad, we do have to treat them with prescription medication. If they won't eat or drink, some cats have to be on IV fluids until the symptoms wear off.

There is no antidote. If he starts to act like it is affecting him, you can watch him at home, and take him to a veterinary clinic for monitoring and fluids and medication.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cal me: (###) ###-####
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am so sorry, I am not able to make phone calls for the website. There is not much more than I can tell you: no antidote, if he got a pill it is long acting, he may ride out the symptoms at home but may need hospitalization and care at a clinic.

I can opt out, and you can wait for another expert who can make a phone call.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

More research: you might see vomiting with this drug as well.

Is he showing any symptoms? We can always hope he did not eat it.

Let me know if you want to continue with me here, or if you want me to opt out. Your question is already open to other experts who might be able to call you.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

How is Chester doing today; did the Effexor afftect him?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He drank a little milk and had a couple cat treats. His eyes are less dilated. Acting more normal
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

So he did get it, but sounds like he is not too bad with tremors, etc. He may not be himself for a day or two if it was Effexor XR, but if it was not the long acting one the worst should be over.

Let me know how he is doing, and if I can help with anything else.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

How is Chester doing now? Kindly consider rating my answer (always appreciated!); you can still get back to me with questions and updates after rating.