Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

Our kitten just ate a 20mg capsule of fluoxetine. He is 4

Customer Question

Our kitten just ate a 20mg capsule of fluoxetine. He is 4 months old and 5 pounds, what can I do??????
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that your cat ate the Fluoxetine. This drug is a serotonin re-uptake inhibitor and can cause serotonin syndrome in cats. Serotonin Syndrome is when a cat has too much serotonin and they become "crazy", extremely hyperactive, vocalizing, drooling, loss of urine control and high heart rate.

If your pet was a dog, I would recommend trying hydrogen peroxide to make them vomit, but this is usually very unsuccessful in cats. If you want to try, give 1-2 teaspoons by mouth to see if this will induce vomiting.

While you are waiting for your kitty to vomit I would recommend calling the ASPCA Animal Poison Control. They are your best resource for any animal poison-related emergency, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. If you think that your pet may have ingested a potentially poisonous substance, call (888)(###) ###-####/strong>. A $65 consultation fee may be applied to your credit card. They will ask you the name of the product as well as any listed ingredient and will tell you if the product is toxic and if you should rush your pet to the nearest veterinarian.

They may recommend taking your kitty to the local animal emergency room this evening for more care.

I hope this answer helps you. Feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When you state the hydrogen peroxide is often unsuccessful with cats, is that because it simply doesn't induce vomiting, or it's difficult to get the HO into them, why is it unsuccessful?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HP = hydrogen peroxide...
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

It simply doesn't usually work. There are numerous ways to induce a dog to vomit, but cats it is hit-or-miss on all of the drugs available. (I worked in the animal ER for 8 years and can count on one hand how many times I was successful making cats vomit).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, we have given it a shot and gave it to him - about 10-15 minutes ago and nothing so far. I Al so called his vet, and will call the poison control center now. One last question, does such an ingestion cause permanent side affects?
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

No, this drug is actually fairly safe, but the cats can get high blood pressure and high body temperature if the serotonin syndrome becomes severe. At even higher doses they can have seizures as well. If they make it through all of the potential side effects, though, they will return to their normal selves.

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

How is your kitty this evening? Any problems with the fluoxetine? Is she fully recovered by now? Do you have any more questions for me?

If you are satisfied with my assistance, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my answer so that I will be compensated for answering your question. For future questions, you can find me here: http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=88695179&FID=0

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda