Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinary Associate at Acres Mill Veterinary Clinic
87969507

I'm a mom to a 15 year old girl kitty that eats great but

Customer Question

I'm a foster mom to a 15 year old girl kitty that eats great but bad breath. The dental specialist said she has stomatitis in the back of her mouth and swollen Lymph nodes. Is there anything I can do? I'm afraid she's too old for extracting teeth etc.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with Buttercup today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Did the dental specialist talk to you about any medications? Is she on any medications right now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Clindamycin 2 times a day and it's not easy to give it to her. She spits it out of the pill pockets so I'm going to crush it into wet food. This is for 5 days
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She said it's like pouring water over a fire.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had no idea she had this, she eats like a pig

Okay thanks for the additional information. It definitely can be challenging to give any cat medications. Fortunately their are other options that you may want to ask your veterinarian about as far as treatment. I often give cats with stomatitis an injectable antibiotic called Convenia which is a shot your veterinarian gives in the office and it last for 2 weeks. So no need for giving pills by mouth. I also give a steroid by mouth to see it it helps. This does need to be given by mouth but most medications can be compounded into a a flavored liquid to make administration easier.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was told that steroids make it worse?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know convenia works great with skin problems, have you had good results with these treatments on cats with stomatitis?

Well in general I have great success with Convenia with dental infections in both dogs and cats. However stomatitis is a whole different creature by itself because it is often caused by an abnormal immune response by the body. So sometimes it works great for me with stomatitis sometimes it doesn't. But if it does not work then typically no other antibiotics will work as well. As far as steroids making things worse, i have seen steroids work well with stomatitis or not work at all, but anytime I start a cat on steroids, I always make sure that they are on antibiotics at the same time just in case

If the antibiotics and the steroids don't work then the only other option is full mouth extraction which I agree with her age is not the best option. They also make clindamycin in a liquid form if that may be easier. Let me know if you have any further questions

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much

You are very welcome, let me know if you have any further questions

In advance, Thanks for giving a rating! Ratings are how I receive credit for helping you today and help me better serve customers in the future.

If you need further assistance for this problem before or after rating feel free to ask a follow up and I'll be
glad to help.

Thanks,

Hi Mikala,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dwight Alleyne