Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

I have an 7 week old kitten who just had first round of

Customer Question

Hi doc. I have an 7 week old kitten who just had first round of vaccines and blood work (fiv leukemia is neg) but once in a while she passes mucusy bloody stool . I took her back to vet who did a fecal exam and was neg for all worms and parasites- and gave me two days of flagyl to start .it seemed to help but I noticed today she passed another stool with bloody mucus . She is eating and drinking and acting normally . I called vet again and they gave me more flagyl to continue but didn't seem too concerned . Any ideas what this could be? Colitis? Food allergy?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Because fecal ova and parasite exams are too often falsely negative, any kitten demonstrating mucusy bloody stool should be presumptively treated with an over the counter wormer containing pyrantel pamoate which addresses both roundworms and hookworms and her vet should administer one or two doses of ponazuril for the likely coccidia which are present as well. Many vets will still prescribe sulfadimethoxine when addressing coccidia but ponazuril is now the drug of choice. Giving a kitten metronidazole is rarely necessary nor appropriate when intestinal parasitism is the likely cause of Opie's diarrhea and hematochezia (blood in the stool). The protozoan Giardia is another consideration and so if pyrantel pamoate + ponazuril weren't helpful, a fecal Giardia-ELISA test should be considered.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He did test for giardia and coccidia- they were negative ...but. I understand it could be a false negative - they did deworm her two weeks ago as well... Do u still recommend the Otc meds?

Thank you for the additional information. Yes, please repeat the pyrantel pamoate at this time and ask to have Opie presumptively treated for coccidia - preferably with ponazuril. False positives are far more common than false negatives when testing for Giardia and so I will assume that Opie's negative fecal-Giardia ELISA is accurate.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.